Monday, August 15, 2011

Walking In My Shoes.

Walking In My Shoes is going to be my way of putting myself in as many different skins as possible, going out and experiencing my normal day in a different way and seeing how I get treated differently.

This is very serious to me. It's not me running around in cosplay, playing "tourist" for a day. I am taking this seriously and personally. My whole life I've always cared about the treatment of every living being on this planet and I've wanted to know how peoples experiences vary based on their appearance. I've seen and experienced these cruel treatments first hand and directed at myself many times. But I also want to who how it feels to be someone else that has similar experiences but in a different way and for different reasons..

I would LOVE it if a man could know what it's like to be a woman, a boy to be a girl, a christian to be a jew. If someone knew what it was like to go out as me for a day. I wouldn't be offended in the slightest. In fact, I would really appreciate it.

I also know that doing it for one day is not enough, of course, and everyone has different experiences. There's no way to know what it's like to have a lifetime of certain experiences other than your own. But I don't think this is wrong because this doesn't ::feel:: wrong to me. There's no ulterior motive and my intentions are pure. Probably because I'm already used to being treated differently and have negative experiences just going out into the world doing nothing but being myself.
I also want to see what one day in the life of that persons world is like, that isn't me. The lives of people who are blind, deaf, mentally challenged, autistic, handicapped, 200lbs overweight, Black, Albino, Lesbian, Hispanic, Tattooed Freak, Native American, Asian(if I can) an old woman, homeless girl, attractive woman and even a full grown man. These wont be "stereotypes" I'm not going to dress a certain way because I'm this or that. Most of my changes will be of my naked body.
It's not just races or disabilities, it's going to be gender, age, sex, lifestyle (tattoos, sexuality, gays, etc...) and even homeless. I don't think this is something only certain people can do. I'm not saying they're all disabilities or that ones less than the other or that they're all "less than white." I'm not saying that at all... What they are is DIFFERENT. Different from each other because we are all different. I'm even doing the many different sides to me and the way people treat me based on how I am one day and how I am another day. I think anyone should be able to do it (only if it's done nicely, realistically and perfectly.)
I would feel horrible about offending anyone and that would defeat the entire purpose of this completely.

Leave me comments with suggestions and include personal experiences as well if you would like to share them... Please give me your honesty. I truly want it and appreciate it.

I want to do this, and I want to do it right.

*Peace & Love*
Emma Bunnie

My Exterior.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's an admirable social experiment, but I think you're going to be surprised by the results. Also, it doesn't matter what your outside looks like. You, Emma, have this inner warmth that radiates out from you that no amount of makeup can cover, so I think your results may be skewed. I wish you luck, and hope you're safe when you conduct your experiments. By the way, as a black woman, you look like Rosario Dawson (total complement...She's gorgeous).

    ReplyDelete