Friday, August 12, 2011

Women, Makeup & Monsters.

I've always wanted my life to revolve around the art of film making. I'm fascinated by every aspect of film and have many different passions that I like to explore.

The art of Makeup Effects is one of them.
Photo shoot I did a few years ago...
I've always loved Halloween and Monsters. When I found out that the monsters in films weren't real creatures that lived in their own monster land, I had to find out how they were made. Once I did, I decided that I wanted to be the one to make them and be them.
I was dubbed "Blood Girl" by Gary J. Tunnicliffe
But there's something people don't know about getting into the makeup business... It's extremely competitive and there are so many schools out there just churning out students. It was my dream to go to Joe Blasco in Hollywood, and I did. I'm going to be honest here. While I had a wonderful and talented Advanced Prosthetic's teacher, Kris Kobzina, the other aspects of the school were quite disappointing. Kris allowed me to make my own creative decisions, open up more as a makeup artist and he taught me everything I wanted to know and staying well late after class to do so. That kind of teaching is priceless. But I was also fortunate enough to go to Makeup Designory (MUD). Unlike Joe Blasco, MUD is a school that actually cares about the future of their students and not just about their money. Amanda Brass who is head of Career Services at MUD is always helpful and always available for the students when they need her. But I treasure both of my experiences at MUD and J.B.
Kris Kobzina, Adrien & I on the set of "Virulents"
The ones who inspired me to become a makeup fx artist were Lon Chaney, Millicent Patrick, Jack Pierce, Rick Baker, Stan Winston, Steve Johnson, Tom Woodruff, Rob Bottin, KNB and Ve Neil.

The Ape Maker Himself... Rick Baker.
Like most of the world, it's very hard for a woman to shove her way into any "boys club." I get it... Guys don't want to have to worry about what they say, getting in trouble, being raunchy, I do get it. But we all have to grow up and work together. We're not living in a completely equal world, though some people would like to think so.
Named after Arthur P. Jacobs, but we can pretend it's for me :)
It's almost impossible for anyone to truly understand what it's like to be living in this world if they're not of that gender or race or species. Men have no idea what it's like to be a woman in this world. Just like whites and other minorities. Even more so, humans and animals. We're not quite there yet... It will take some time to get there, but we will get there...

Now... Back to MUFX... My favorite book on makeup fx was called "Men, Makeup & Monsters" but I kept referring to it as, "Movie's, Makeup & Monsters." Subconsciously I didn't want to think of it as an industry predominantly made up of men. Where were the female makeup fx artists? Having worked in the business for four years, I can definitely see why the male to female ratio is what is is. Some of the reasons are unfortunate and others are just simply, it will take some time to even out.
This is the one!
I loved watching the Universal classics as a child. I was so small I had to climb up on the couch and reach for the collection on one of the higher shelves. The Creature From The Black Lagoon, Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and The Bride of Frankenstein. I watched them all the time... My favorite around the age of 4-years-old was The Creature. I watched it over and over and over and had to watch the sequels over and over as well.
I <3 The Creature
I even have an awesome Creature tattoo. It was done by the only man I let tattoo my body... The incredibly talented...Adam Kilss... (Currently working at Zulu Tattoo.)

Adam Kilss... Amazing...

 Millicent Patrick

She was an animator for Disney and the designer of the *approved* Creature design.

The Creature's design was originally meant to have a sleek, eel-like figure.

That design did not have as much detail, texture or gills as the final design by Millicent. 
Why is her involvement and role in the creation of The Creature so unknown?

It seems as though her actual contribution was deliberately downplayed by a makeup artist, who for half a century would receive sole credit for the creature's conception.
That makeup artist was Bud Westmore.


Well, Millicent, knowing that you gave The Creature the perfect touches makes me love it that much more.

As if I could love The Creature From The Black Lagoon any more than I already do...

Some people ask me why I chose to be an on-set makeup fx artist as opposed to working in a lab to actually build the creatures. While in school, my teacher Kris, had asked me what I wanted to do... Work in a lab? Or be on set? I asked him if I had to choose. He said, "You have the talent to do both, but it's not the easiest thing to do." I started out doing lab work, which I love, but I'm more of a painter and applicator than I am a sculptor. I love all of the steps and processes that go into creating a monster, but I've been a painter since I was 4 and I'm a very nurturing person. So being on set, applying and painting prosthetics, as well as taking care of the cast is perfect for me. This is where I'm more Ve Neil, than Rick Baker.
Steve LaPort, Me & Ve Neil

Lon Chaney is my idol... Can you tell?
Here is some of my work....
My Lava Dino Creature
Women have to do everything that men do, except backwards and in heels.
My 18-year-old self on the set of Jennifer's Body
Getting to work with an incredible modern artist such as Mike Marino, on Black Swan, was a real treat.

Sabrina's skull bashed in and beaten for Shane Cole's "M"
I'm proud of this one! See No Edges...
My Apes : )
Last summer I worked as a makeup artist on the new Planet of the Apes prequel. I was jumping for joy when I got the call on that one. But when they said it was just for straight makeup since they were going with Weta, my heart broke a little and a tear came to my eye.... So dramatic, I know... But those of you that are reading this can certainly understand. But fret not! There was some gorgeous and amazing makeup effects creations done by Bill Terezakis.
I'm workin' with a bunch of apes here...
(I'm the blonde ape in the front right)
It was a wonderful experience working on that set. A crew that I had worked with before in Vancouver. A darling cast that consisted of Tom Felton, Andy Serkis, Brian Cox, David Oyelowo Richard Ridings and John Lithgow. What lovely group of gentlemen.
I love my Canadian family...
There's not a whole lot I can say about this film at the moment. I'll keep my pretty lips sealed... for now... But I will talk about my experience doing MoCap Makeup and working with the Weta crew.
"MO-CAP... Mo-Problems..."
It was really interesting to see how that whole process worked. Learning exactly what places to put the 250 tiny reflective spheres onto their face. That was certainly tricky, as they already came with adhesive on parts of them and they would get stuck on the tweezers. The 250 dots was for the initial scans of their faces.
"Happy Birthday Emma!" Written in blood... I love my Vancouver crew :)
Once those were on, they would go into a room with about 10 (i think) cameras and make every single facial movement they possibly could. After that was done, 250 dots turned into 52 dots... Every day, 52 dots would be applied to the basic necessary muscles on the face in the same places every time and they had to be exact.

Waiting to touch up Tom Felton and dot some Apes. Photo by Joe Lederer
The stunt ape actors were quite a bunch... Extremely talented and just plain funny and entertaining.
Andy was so wonderful to work with, Terry Notary was a riot, Devyn had the moves and Ray Chan and Chris Gordon were so entertaining, it made working on the Apes set a blast. Being a huge fan of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I was shocked to find out that one of my favorite apes, Richard Ridings, also played Angelo in the film! I loved working with all of them. 

Dotting Terry moments before destruction ensues... Photo's by the sweet and incredibly kind, Joe Lederer
I'm so glad the film is getting so much praise and support. When I read Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver's script I knew it had to be decent, there's no way you could ruin a script that was that good and with Rupert Wyatt directing it, how could they go wrong? I'm glad it's become so successful.
That was quite an action unit...
I never thought I would ever get to work on an actual Planet of the Apes film... A dream come true...

Me as an ape on the set of an Apes film... Yes!
*Furry Hugs & Bloody Kisses*
Emma "Blood Girl" Bunnie

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog Emma! And I love you even more now <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to tell you, Emma, that you impress and astound me. You're one of the most talented people I know, and I consider it an honor to count you as one of my friends.

    ReplyDelete